Friday we woke up, Mark went off to sell, I went about my usual nothingness just like any other day. That afternoon I got a phone call from my cousin Bryson wondering where my mom was and that his dad couldn't get a hold of her. I told him she was at our cabin until Saturday night and that they wouldn't have service until then. I could tell something was wrong so I asked if I could tell her a message if I could get a hold of her. He went on to tell me that my Grandpa's wife, Shirley had suddenly and unexpectedly passed away that morning and that they wanted my mom to spread the word and let everyone know. I was in complete shock. I couldn't believe that our lively, spunky Shirley was gone. She had been my Grandma longer than my real Grandma was. After crying and still not believing it I attempted to get a hold of my mom.
Finally, a few hours later I was able to get a hold of her and had the not-so-happy experience of breaking the news to her. We preceded to find out that the funeral would be Tuesday afternoon. Mark and I knew that if we wanted to be there we needed to pack up our apartment and leave asap. Mark talked to his regional managers and decided that we would head home and after the funeral they would fly Mark back out for the last 2 weeks to finish managing his office.
I didn't even know where to begin. I was still in shock from the news and couldn't believe we had to pack up EVERYTHING within hours and head home! I stayed up all night packing and cleaning. Mark finally went to bed at 2 am and I joined him at 3. His alarm went off at 4 and we were on our way. I hadn't even fallen asleep because my mind was going a million miles an hour so I took the first leg of the drive. It was really nice being able to drive watching the sunrise and getting to cry and think while Mark was asleep.
We made it to Missouri at about 9 pm and slept there from 10pm-4am. (It's never a good sign when the lady that checked you in is the same person to check you out. haha.) We were on the road again and made it home around 9 pm Utah time. After being in the car 36 out of 48 hours and getting 7 hours of sleep in the last 2 days we were EXHAUSTED! Emotionally and physically.
On the way home we found out that the funeral at been changed to Friday. We were a little bummed we had packed up so quickly when we didn't need to, but that left us more time with our families before Mark had to head back.
Although we wish it wasn't for the reasons it is, we are glad to be home. We'll miss Virginia but...there's no place like home!
Our GPS died on the way home so luckily we had Mark's fancy phone to do the trick!
At one point all 4 corners of our dash had lights on...not a good sign...we made it home safe though!
Beautiful St. Louis Arch
We love and miss you SO much Shirley! Grandpa's house won't be the same without you!
1 comment:
omg kell. I'm so sorry you went through all that to get home! I'm so glad you'll be there tomorrow. When I was reading your blog and read that you thought the funeral was on Tuesday I was like "ugh?... should I call and tell her it's friday or is she good now?" I'll see ya in the morning kell. I love you.
Post a Comment